St. Stephen the Witness to celebrate 25th anniversary
St. Stephen the Witness marks 25th anniversary
Student center will hold events April 9-10 in Cedar Falls; archbishops to hold Mass
CEDAR FALLS — Students, community members, and alumni of the University of Northern Iowa and St. Stephen Catholic Student Center will celebrate 25 years in the current facility with Masses celebrated by Father Donald Klein on Saturday evening, and Archbishops Michael Jackels and Jerome Hanus on Sunday morning.
Construction began on the facility at 1019 West 23rd St. in 1990 and in April, 1991 the Student Center was dedicated with a Mass presided by Archbishop Daniel Kucera and Father Donald Klein. Many students and members were involved in the planning, groundbreaking, parade and dedication of the new facility. It has served countless students for the last 25 years as they gather to pray, serve and belong.
Events for the celebration include:
Saturday, April 9
- 1-4 p.m. Open House at St. Stephen the Witness Catholic Student Center, 1019 W 23rd St., Cedar Falls
- 4 p.m. Mass celebrated by Father Donald Klein. Father Klein, while serving as director from 1983 to 1993, led the efforts to build the new facility. This Mass is open for all to attend.
- 5 p.m. Social, beverages & appetizers
- 6 p.m. Dinner
There is limited seating for the social and dinner – please RSVP to Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, April 10
- 10:30 a.m. Mass con-celebrated by Archbishops Jackels & Hanus
- 11:45 a.m. Beverages & Appetizers – Meet & Greet
These events will celebrate the vision and determination of the planners as well as the continued use and success of the student center. Current director, Father Ken Glaser, states, “It is with great gratitude that the St. Stephen Catholic Student Center community recognizes members, donors, alumni and staff from the past and the present. Each and every one of you has contributed to the spirit and success of the student center ministry over the years.
Event details are available at www.ststephenuni.org.
On April 7, 1991, students, members and clergy paraded from the old building at 2304 College Ave. to the new facility at 1019 W. 23rd St. for the Dedication Mass and Ceremony. (Contributed photo)